The acquisition was originally announced in February 2026, but its completion was conditional on approval from Konkurransetilsynet. Neither party has disclosed the purchase price for the transaction. Both companies operate in the sale of consumer electronics in Norway and compete, among other things, in the sale of Apple products such as Mac and iPad to private customers through physical stores and e-commerce.
Authority’s turnaround in the matter
Konkurransetilsynet received notification of the acquisition on March 9, 2026, and announced a more in-depth review on April 16. On June 29, the authority issued a warning notice expressing concern that the deal could significantly weaken competition in the market. After the companies submitted their comments and additional information on July 11, new analyses were carried out, leading to final approval on July 30.
We have now concluded that the acquisition will not significantly impede effective competition, and can therefore be carried out, says competition director Mads Magnussen.
Relief at Elkjøp
From Elkjøp’s side, the authority’s decision is commented on as an expected but relieving message after the protracted review process.
We are pleased and relieved. We have always been confident that a thorough review of the facts would result in approval, and that is where tilsynet has now landed. Konkurransetilsynet has an important social mission, and we have great respect for that. At the same time, this has been a long and demanding process for all involved, not least for the employees of Eplehuset. Now, more than anything, we are glad that we can finally look ahead, says Øystein Flisnes Husby, director of strategy and business development at Elkjøp Nordic.
In connection with the approval, Elkjøp emphasizes that the companies have different concepts that complement each other in the Norwegian market.
Eplehuset has a special expertise in Apple that we have great respect for. At the same time, we want to give Norwegian consumers an even better offer. We look forward to welcoming Eplehuset’s skilled employees, says Øystein Flisnes Husby.
Continues as a separate company
The implementation means that Eplehuset will be established as a separate subsidiary within the Elkjøp Group. Both the Eplehuset brand and the existing store concept will be retained. Eplehuset’s largest owners, Bjørn Tore Brevik and Marit Buseth Hovde, have previously expressed a positive attitude towards the change of ownership and stated that it has been important for the owners to find a long-term solution for the company and its employees.
Elkjøp Nordic is part of the Currys plc group and operates in the Nordic countries through the chains Elkjøp, Elgiganten and Gigantti. Eplehuset was founded in 2002 in Trondheim and has now grown to become a significant player in Norway. According to the company’s latest official annual reports, the parent company has a turnover of over 1.4 billion Norwegian kroner and the business employs around 350 people distributed across just over 20 physical stores and e-commerce.
ALSO READ: Niclas Eriksson new CEO of Elkjøp Nordic